On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:03:35AM -0600, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I can see now that ipop3d is not running, It seems to start manually, and
> says it is ready for a brief time, then says it is closing because of
> inactivity.When I telnet locally to port 110, it says connection refused.
> hosts.allow, and hosts.deny are empty, except for some commented lines. In
> Linuxconf I have ipop2d and ipop3d, but it does not respond to any changes
> that I try to implement. I have another server that works perfect, which
> says ipop2d and ipop3d are "enabled on demand".

Are those two machines running the same version of the same linux
distribution?

>                                                 I do not have a inetd.conf,
> rather xinetd.conf, which I have attached . It doesn't seem to have the info
> you said I should find. I am able to send mail from the server. Is there
> something else I need to enable for pop3d to start, or would a removal and
> new install of ipop3d make the proper conf changes?

"enabled on demand" means run from inetd. In your case is xinetd.

In the file you sent me there is a reference to /etc/xinetd.d . Look in
that directory for a reference to pop3d.

BTW: How did you install pop3? Have you compiled it yourself, or have you
installed a package?

Do you have a firewall on that machine?

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4