I'm enjoying reading this conversation.  In my 20-odd years of experience
providing computer support to home and office users, it's my impression that
most users care about three things: learning as little as possible, getting
their work (or play) done, and exchanging files with other users.

The way I see it, Linux is imitating Windows not because Windows is good, but
because it's the de-facto standard.  If you're designing a new car, it
doesn't matter how different it is from a Chevy under the hood, but it had
better have the controls in roughly the same places as a Chevy or very few
people will take the trouble to learn to drive it.

It is of course true, as Florin says, that babies point at things, but as
they grow up they learn to talk, and you could go further and say that they
learn to type instead of talking so much.  But drivers don't operate their
cars by talking or typing, and there's a good reason for that: inanimate
objects (such as engines, tires, roadblocks, etc.) respond to actions, not to
words.  And although a GUI is more work for a programmer than a command line,
it's no less natural for the computer, whose native language is not English
any more than it's point-and-click.

Where I'm going is that the OSes that gain desktop market share will be the
ones that let people learn as little as possible, get their work done, and
exchange files with other users.  If that means more GUI and less command
line, then I'm sorry, but there will be less command line.  And if it means
that Linux looks and feels and acts more like Windows in some respects, then
as much as we hate Windows, that's where Linux will have to go to gain
desktops.  --Ben