On Saturday 26 January 2002 09:30 pm, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:34, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:
> > I have not seen much talk on this list concerning the "growth" of Linux
> > on the home desktop.  Specifically I would like to ask; what
> > characteristics will a successful distro need to employ?  How will the
> > newest versions of Linux (ie. Lycoris (Redmond), Elx, Xandros, and OEone)
> > fare compared to older favorites?  I think most would agree that Mandrake
> > and Red Hat hold the majority of desktops for home users, with SuSe,
> > Debian, Slack and Caldera bringing up the rear.   Will these distros lose
> > market share?  Do you care? How do the "gurus" feel about the move to
> > increase ease of use and the similarities to the Windows "look and feel"?
> >   And lastly, have others on the list tried these new distros?
>
> I have used RedHat (from 5.1 through 7.1), Caldera (eDesktop 2.4), and
> Mandrake (7.2 through 8.1 presently) all on my ThinkPad at various
> times, and with each new release or version I have been more and more
> impressed as my hardware was more easily detected and configured at
> install time, and as the available configuration tools (mostly GUI) have
> improved vastly.
>
> I am presently looking for a change from Mandrake 8.1, to a more
> slimmed-down, power-user distro. I've been thinking maybe Debian, but
> I'm not sure if I am ready to take the plunge. Therefore, I am extremely
> interested in the comments of those who have tried some of the newer
> (and lesser-known) distros like Lycoris, Elx, Gentoo, etc.

Each to his own.   I like having all the stuff that Mandrake has, and the
installation is easy for a relative klutz like me.

That said, Gentoo sounds way cool, although probably needs a more
sophisticated user than I am, and I'd be lost without a good, easy-to-use X
environment.  Ditto for Linux From Scratch, although it would be a learning
experience .   . .