A big thankyou to Jay Kline for recommending OSS as a driver for my SiS 7018
built-in sound.  I can now play sound files... but while trying to get audio
CDs to play, I found a very strange problem.

/dev/cdrom is a broken symbolic link to ../cdroms/cdrom0, which of course
doesn't exist.  (/dev/cdrom0, cdrom1, etc. are valid links to
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0, etc., but if I tell CD Player to use one of them instead,
it crashes.)  I suspect the OSS installer may have done this.... prior to
installing OSS, I was able to play CDs just fine -- I just wasn't able to
hear them!  However, I don't seem to be able to delete the broken link in
order to replace it.  rm doesn't give any sort of error message, but it
doesn't delete the link.  Is there some other way to delete a file other than
rm as root??

Then there's the other unexplained phenomenon in the Bermuda Triangle of my
/dev directory.  If I want to hotsync my Handspring Visor, which uses a USB
cradle, I have to manually create /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 and give them
appropriate rw permissions.  Then, after I use them, they disappear.
Sometimes immediately after I use them, sometimes not until I reboot, but
they're always gone by the time I reboot.  What's going on there?

Thanks again for all your help! --Ben (Mandrake 8.1)