On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:38:10PM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> While I can not dismiss your claims about short wave interference, I can say
> I have run many computers without a case for extended periods of time and
> not run into any such interference.  No AM or FM interference (although I
> don't listen to much AM -- occasional WCCO 830AM).  No interference that I
> note.  On the contrary, I can often here my cell phone negotiating with the
> tower on my FM Stereo in my car (and it is a new and quality system).
> Nobody has shown up at my door.  There is a HAM guy in my [old] neighborhood
> that has a tower up behind his garage.  No word from him either.

I get noticeable AM interference with my computer.  If I leave my
computer in the house while working in the garage 20 or 30 m
away, I get a definite extra hum while trying to listen to a game
on AM (usually on 'CCO). It goes away if I shut the computer off.

I don't get any noticeable FM interference.  It probably has to
do with the lower frequencies used by AM, though it might be
intrinsic to the difference between amplitude and frequency
modification.