>Message: 4
>Subject: Re: [TCLUG] SiS 7018 sound card
>From: Joel Rosenberg <joelr at ellegon.com>
>To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
>Date: 16 Jan 2002 09:29:22 -0600
>
>On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 08:50, Ben Stallings wrote:
> > Hello again, folks.  Here I am with another remedial question...
> >
> > My machine has sound built into the motherboard with the SiS 7018
>chipset.
> > Windows 98 required a special driver (provided with the motherboard)
>before
> > it would recognize the chip, but Mandrake 8.1 recognized it right away.
> > Unfortunately it doesn't work.  I found a tip online where someone said
> > use the command "modprobe trident" to configure the thing, but when I
>try it
> > I get the following:
> >
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: init_module:
>No
> > such device
> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
>including
> > invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz failed
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: insmod
>trident
> > failed
> >
> > I'm afraid I need more of a "hint" than that.  Suggestions?  --Ben
> >

>My own limited experience with Linux and outre hardware suggests that
>the best and cheapest course is, generally, to just buy a standard
>part.  (My wife's machine, for example, recognizes its old NE2000
>compatible NIC card under Windows, but not under Mandrake -- so we
>picked up a cheap Intel card.  This would have been a smarter move if
>I'd just done it in the first place, rather then spending hours and
>hours trying to get the old card to work.)
>--
>-------------------------------------
>There's a widow in sleepy Chester
>   Who weeps for her only son;
>There's a grave on the Pabeng River,
>   A grave that the Burmans shun,
>And there's Subadar Prag Tewarri
>   Who tells how the work was done.
I may be wrong, but from that error message, I get the feeling that there
may be an IRQ conflict. So you would want to check if any devices share an
IRQ number with another device. If it does, then try setting your sound
card's IRQ to one that isn't in use. I don't know how you can check this, as
I haven't had much experience with Linux aside from remote server
administration.
                 --Matt "Buddy Dee" Derosier