On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 at 04:44PM -0600, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I've been messing around with mutt a bit lately and in the process I
> think I've converted my mailbox format unknowingly. My home directory
> has a mail *and* Mail directory as well as an mbox file. mbox appears to
> contain all the messages that aren't otherwise filed in their own
> folders (i.e., it's my "inbox"). The mail folder contains all the mail
> folders I've made.

Well, out of the box, Pine uses ~/mail and Mutt uses ~/Mail. The ~/mbox
file is Pine.

> Now when I use pine I get a message: "Moved xxxx bytes of new mail to
> /home/wilson/mbox from /var/mail/wilson."
>
> So presumably I've somehow converted myself from maildir to mbox
> format. Is that correct?

What MTA are you using, and how is it set up? /var/mail/wilson is
probably just an mbox file where your MTA puts incoming mail. I think
the usual default configuration of Debian and RedHat (and probably other
distros) is mbox files in /var/mail or /var/spool/mail or whatever.

My guess is that there's no maildir stuff going on, and it's all just
mbox files. Someone else should back me up on this or correct me...

> I'd like to set up some procmail rules. Should I reference
> /var/mail/wilson or /home/wilson/mbox?

You either have to configure your MTA to talk to procmail, or use a
.forward file to have your incoming mail fed to procmail. I think you
could use either file you mentioned above, but Mutt will probably
automatically look for /var/mail/wilson.

Often, if you have a .procmailrc file in your home directory, your MTA
will automatically use procmail. It's kinda like magic. And if none of
your procmail rules match a particular email, it will probably get
automatically delivered to /var/mail/wilson.

Hope this helps...

Dan