On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 07:23, Jimmy Jam wrote:
> I have a DSL Internet connection via cable modem.  How can I run a DNS
server on my Linux machine that will replicate itself from the DNS of my
ISP and be contactable by other DNS servers?  In other words, how can I
directly host websites on my machines which will be contactable from outside?

> Regards

Unless you are planning on hosting a lot of domains and you need a lot
of configurability, I would advise letting someone else do your DNS.
When you register a domain with Verio (and other companies) they will do
your DNS for free, even if you don't host your site with them. That's
what I did with my wife's domain. On our LAN, we have a Linux server
doing DNS, but it is only local, providing the non-routing addresses we
use internally.

This will also save you many security headaches. I've had my public DNS
servers cracked twice. While some of that is my own fault for not
keeping up on security patches, BIND is a known security hole waiting to
happen. Yes, I know there are other DNS servers out there. And my own
opinion is certainly colored by my experiences being cracked. But there
it is, take it with whatever size grain of salt you want.

Dave Sherman
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.