On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:05:54AM -0600, Jared Burns wrote:

> You machine will emit RF (radio frequency) radiation at the
> frequency of your machine's clock frequency (100kHz, 133kHz, etc.).

Boy, I wish it were that simple.  And the clock freqs you list don't
make a lot of sense.

The trouble is that for one, you have more than one frequency in the
machine -- what about the video outs?  What about clock dividers /
multipliers?

The other problem is that we like nice mostly square pulses, but that
means boatloads of harmonics -- IIRC a single Dirac pulse function is
energy at all freqs.  Anyway, the upshot is that both harmonics and
sub-harmonics are generated in scads, so your radiated spectra is
anything but clean.

(Kelly or any other Hams -- keep me honest here.)

For that matter, you're violating some FCC rules/laws if you let these
kind of emissions out, but that doesn't mean they'd catch on.

> Make sure you have the components inclosed in a Faraday cage or you
> and your neighbors will have a hard time picking up radio signals
> (at least around the frequency of your clock) while your machine is
> running. :)

Speaking of Faraday cages, does anyone know what it is they do that
they needed to build one around the new Alumni center at the U? ;)

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood