On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Joshua b. Jore wrote:

> Brian,
> You've been attacking the wrong problem. While the error message stated
> something about the wrong major number that isn't really the problem. Your
> /dev/hda1 is perfectly fine and ought to be left alone. What *would* help
> is if you described what /dev/hda is, how it is partitioned

/dev/hda is my sole 30GB ATA-1000 drive it's carved up something like
this:

/dev/hda1	4GB	Windows partition
/dev/hda2	250MB	swap
/dev/hda3	1.5GB	/
/dev/hda4	extended
/dev/hda5	10GB	/usr
/dev/hda6	12GB	/home

 and the
> relevant section from your dmesg. You also mentioned something about USB.

I don't have the dmesg handy, I'll post it when I can get to it.

> I think the problem is either hardware being identified improperly or your
> drivers are somehow wierd. The info I asked for should have some clues as
> to what the real problem is.

As another poster suggested, is it possible I left out some ATA driver in
the kernel config?  I don't recall ever having trouble with this drive so
I'm guessing there's no custom patches or anything that need to be loaded.

-Brian