On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:09:21PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> My points on Why Partitions are Good Things have all been made
> already, but I haven't seen anyone point out that your method of
> evaluation and scorekeeping is unfair.

True enough -- I knew I changed the rules when I started getting
replies back.  But, it's a victimless crime, and the partitions are
hardly crying over their treatment.

> Multiple partitions are multiple partitions, regardless of whether
> they're on the same physical device or not.

I see your point.  I might want to argue (not with your point, really
on a different one) that physical partitions (multiple drives) make
sense, and are in fact forced upon us as soon as you get too big /
fast for one disk.

Logical partitions, i.e., directories, make sense because, well, you
can't just lump everything together.  But, "firmware" partitions make
no sense because either the disk is too small, or the disk is too big.
Or the disk is so static that you should just burn it onto CD-ROM!
All they serve to do (in general, given that disks themselves are a
commodity -- which they are in IDE or SCSI) is place needless
restrictions on the configuration of logical partitions.

LVM is really what I want -- now I know, but sometimes you have to run
through the exercises.  (OK, that and a good structured file system --
what I really want is a *nix kernel with little process running on
Files-11.)

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood