On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:48:35 -0600
Douglas Mosman <dwmosman at mn.mediaone.net> wrote:

> I don't know but I thought they were very strict about getting permits &
> inspections.  Was your seller required to have the house inspected and
> brought up
> to code before he could sell?  Maybe someone else knows for sure?
>
> FYI - I also don't know when Minneapolis considers that you've crossed
> the line
> between "connecting two computers together" (informal activity) to
> "wiring a
> home" (needs city permit and inspection).

My two cents:
As a homeowner and resident of Minneapolis, living in a 115 yr old house
I have found out the following:
you do need to pull a permit for wiring,
you do not need to be a contractor to do so (homeowner can pull electrical
permits) You can preform the work yourself
you do not have to have the work inspected.
This applies to standard wiring only, AFAIK no permit required for
rewiring phone service. Basic assumption equates phone wiring with network
wiring. And, no, I refrained from pulling a permit to rewire my house, but
then again I also refrained from stringing cat5. I think I'll go wireless
when time dictates necessity.

--
-Kevin Hinze
rudie at sihope.com  |  rudie at fastcomputers.tv
http://fastcomputers.tv

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves."
- Carl Jung