On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 15:09, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> I am by no means a Linux, or Windows, expert.
>
> I am a Linux (and Windows) user and while I personally think Linux is the
> best thing since sliced bread it still poses problems.
>
> For one; installing software. It is a pain. You have to unzip your tarballs,
> unpackage your RPMs and whatever else you do with Debian and start
> installing. In many cases you have to compile the source code and then
> install the binaries. (If I am understanding the process right.)
>
> Under Windows it was usualy a simple process. You got your file
> 'bloatware.exe' you double-clicked on it and presto it was going.
>
> Note: I am not saying that the Windows method was better, only that it was
> easier.
>
> For a newbie (Myself and those you want to convert to Linux) this is a
> stumbling block.
>
> I understand why compiling the sourcecode is better and why the whole process
> is better, but there has to be a way of automating the whole thing, neh?

Well, yeah.  Under Mandrake, there's MandrakeUpdate, and package
manager, which handles the installation from rpm real well.

> Is it that impossible to have an application or utility that has all the
> steps on a visual interface? I can't imagine so, I remember being able to
> make simple enough batch files in MS-DOS in the late eighties, these files
> could handle batch jobs such as Formatting, labeling and copying certain
> files. Of course it is possible that I am completely off base here, but isn't
> the process for installing software under linux (compiling, installing and
> 'make clean') really a batch process?

Sure:  just create a shell script that runs

./configure
make
make install

. . . and that'll work for most tarballs.

> If Linux is to take become a more serious contender there has to be a
> concerted effort to make it easily accessible for the newbie. I still can't
> install the Java Runtime Environment and it is ticking me off. (Open Office
> needs Java.)

I installed JRE as part of installing StarOffice beta, and it works just
fine under Open Office, which is what I'm mainly using for real work.