You'll love it.  And its a good idea to do it right away (if you have the time
and $$).  More of a pain later when when you're settled in.

Suggestions ..

Don't screw up the value of the house.
- You're almost certain to sell it and upgrade eventually.  This is not
difficult.  Just be smart about it and don't just hack 'n slash because you're
eager to get a lan party going :^)
- Check with your city wiring codes.  There are situations (like going between
floors) where certain kinds of cables or structure are required.  In some
cities, you can't sell a house until it passes code.
- Take the time to do it decently.  Don't duct tape the wire to pipes because
you don't want to take 15 minutes to go to the hardware store for wire hangers.
Stay with the project until all the trim is back on, the holes in the walls are
patched, etc.
- If you have never done wiring, make sure to connect with someone who knows
what they're doing.  Its not rocket science but ...

Do a basic plan first
- where will your servers go
- where's your wiring closet(s)
- where in each room should outlets go (i.e., where will the computers go)
- consider including video & phone in the wiring closet.
- do you have enough power where you need it
- do you want a clean circuit to your pc's?

Purchasing
- Home Depot was good for wiring when I looked (but find out if your city
requires plenum grade??)
- IMHO Cat5 is good enough but I'd go with 5e or 6 if the cost difference is
small.  Gives you some tolerance.
- Look for bulk wall jacks somewhere else.  Both Home Depot & Menards seem very
pricy.
- patch panel. - about $50 at Micro Warehouse.
- patch cables - mail order.  Example: www.pccables.com - 1ft - .55, 3ft - .95,
7ft - 1.59

Use the T568A wiring pattern (vs. T568B).  I'm finding some SOHO stuff that is
just wire-coded for T568A.

Most Important - after you have your basic plan figured out, ...get a bid.   You
may be able to have it done for close to what you'll pay for materials.