* Yaron (jethro at freakzilla.com) wrote:
I just started this undertaking myself, I do highly recommend an
electricians snake as was mentioned earlier. I found an 800' spool from
Best communications of non-stranded cat5e for $48, by far the best place
to go, they often times have large spools they've started making patches
out of and sell them at a good price.

Go with some multi-function wall plates that house coax and rj-11 as
well so you can have everything run to the same spot, that's more a
matter of taste than anything. Don't bother with a patch panel unless
you really want a NOC ready house-hold to be used at a later date for
more intensive purposes. If you don't see a need for more than 8 drops,
go get a 10 port switch, they're not to expensive.

The biggest hassle you'll find if it's a semi-old house fully finished
is that a lot of areas are simply impossible to run cable to w/o making
it noticeable but I've found duct-work to be the easiest points of entry
to most rooms by far. Just make sure you can patch or fix whatever you
decide to rip up, cuz you'll be tempted to start shredding at some
points.. ;-) Good Luck!
Congrats on the mortgage!
Tom Hudak