ON Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:44:30PM -0600, Jay Kline wrote:
> I just did a test with a base install of Postfix from a mandrake RPM (I know
> this is not the most efficient setup).  When the spools were on fixed disk, I
> was able to send about 11 messages per second.  When I switched to a ramdisk
> for the spools, performace jumped to about 67 messages per second.   So there
> was an obvoius performance increase here, though I am just using a standard
> home PC class IDE hard drive (Maxtor 52049H4).  What do you think the
> difference would be with better drives?

Using MORE and faster disks will help somewhat but will probably still not beat
the RAM disk in your test. But you'll still need to write deferrals to disk
unless you have an awful lot of RAM. And DNS and SMTP servers don't always
respond instantaneously...or at all...or accept all your connections if they do.

--
Michael