On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 19:33, Scott Dier wrote:
> > difference would be with better drives?
>
> I would go with hardware raid and stripe some nice 10krpm or 15krpm
> drives. (or raid5, if you need the redundancy.. isn't raid5 faster than
> single disk, but not as fast as striping, right?)

My understanding is that "it depends", when it comes to reads.  If the
data that you're looking for is in the hardware cache on any of the
disks, it becomes available very quickly.  With raid5, there's more
hardware disk cache space available than with striping, all other things
being equal. The Raid How-To seems to suggest that the performance
advantages of striping may not be nearly as much as they are thought to
be.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester