Download the ones you need manualy and then install them with:
rpm --upgrade packagename.rpm

I usually get them from here:
ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/Linux/mandrake/updates/8.1/RPMS/

There is also a local UofM mirror too but it seems to rather well used!
:-)
ftp://ftp.software.umn.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/

Most of the mirrors have the updates.

Christopher Gahlon