Quoting Larry Cable (Larry.Cable at nwa.com):
> I got thru this problem yesterday.  Both FTP and TELNET were not installed
> when I installed REDHAT 7.2.  So you need to make sure that "xientd", "telnet"
> and "wu-ftpd" are installed (rpm -q xientd, rpm -q telnet, rpm -q wu-ftpd) and
> if not install them.  Then go to "/etc/xinetd.d" directory and you'll see
> files "wu-ftpd" ad "telnet".  Edit these files, look at the last line that
> says "disable      yes" and change "yes" to "no".  Then reboot.

I cannot stress how important it is NOT to install telnet. Please make the
Internet a safer place and install openssh. It's on the 7.2 CDs and there are
clients for every platform.

I'd also recommend against wu-ftpd, and install proftpd, if you can't find the
RPMs for it I'll be happy to put mine up my members area on tclug.

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500