I'm running Debian woody on a box that's connected to my cable modem; it
does NAT, web and email serving for me. Earlier this afternoon, it
suddenly became unresponsive, and when I plugged a monitor into it (I
usually use a different machine), it was just scrolling hex numbers that
looked like this:

[<c044xxxx>] [<c884xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>]

All 8-digit numbers; all of them that I could see starting with "c".
They were scrolling at a rate of several per second, and I couldn't
switch to another console or anything. I had to hit the reset button to
reboot, and it's working fine now.

Did something in the kernel go south on me? I am running 2.4.17, but
have never had any problems with the 2.4 series.

There's nothing in the logs that I can find that indicates any problem;
the box was working fine and then just suddenly stopped, interrupting my
Radio K shoutcast :( .

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dan