>>>>> "j" == jeffr  <jeffr at odeon.net> writes:

    j> As I understand it, typically in linux only one thing can be
    j> accessing the sound device at one time.  This means that you
    j> can get strange noises from your display manager or you can get
    j> xmms to play an mp3, but not both at the same time.

    j> Now there is a way around this.  If you use esd (Enlightened
    j> Sound Daemon IIRC) as the 'device' that all of your other
    j> applications like xmms use for output, then esd can mix all the
    j> various sound streams together and present just one sound
    j> stream to the sound card, thus allowing your system beeps,
    j> display manager sounds, and xmms to all play nice together at
    j> the same time.

Is there any better documentation out there for esd?  I HAVE the darn
thing, but the docs don't really explain how to use the daemon as a
device.  The docs explain how to start the daemon, but say nothing
about how to use it...

Actually, looking around, I see that KDE (which I'm using) already
supports multiple accesses to the sound cart through aRts.

Maybe the following will work:  calling 'artsdsp xmms' instead of
xmms.

Dunno for sure....