Another from: address line misshap...
Kelly Black
KB0GBJ

Subject: Debian window manager config question
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:55:57 -0600
From: Kelly Black <kelly-black at attbroadband.com>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org

For all you Debian bitches in the lug:

How do you change the window manager in Debian?

I am currently running wmaker, but it has a big mutant block for a mouse
pointer.

Details of the X-setup: (SV3 x-server, Diamond Stealth 3d-2000).
The same thing happened on my ancient TI laptop when I installed Debian with
wmaker.

I apt-get upgraded all installed packages to try and make it magically "go
away", but no luck :-)
(The apt-get upgrade was a slick operation, and I can see why people get to
like Debian).

In order to see if it was related to the window manager wmaker, I tried to
figure out how to change to another one.  I saw some docs that mentioned
update-alternatives, but quickly got lost on how to drive it (if this is even
the tool to use). The update-alternatives looks more like a tool for other
scripts to call.

Also, can someone point me to a good Debian book for some of the basics like
this?  All I have found to date deal with initial menu-based installation
instructions, and don't tell you things like how to change the window manager
after the initial install, how to set up networking after you skipped it
during the initial install etc...

Thanks,
Kelly Black
73's de KB0GBJ