On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 23:55, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> Can anyone give me a read on how portable PNG files really are?
> I figure everyone can read them, but before putting a bunch in a web
> site, I thought I'd get some feedback.  I also read some opinions on
> the GIMP site that made it sound like they were superior for some
> reason to .gif or .jpg files.  Any opinions here on how?
>
> Thx, Phil

www.libpng.org

In a nutshell, png is posed to replace gif, which is owned by Unisys. In
1995, Unisys threatened to sue any commercial website which was using
the gif file format and not paying them royalties. I do not know if they
ever made good on this threat.

Nevertheless, the threat is there. And in reality, png is far superior
to gif in many ways. It uses a better compression algorithm, has more
features, and is open and free in every way. At the above-mentioned
website, you can read all about it, and even check the compatibility of
any browser with the png format.

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.