| 2.  I've downloaded a couple of themes I'd like to install.  The
| RedHat "getting started" guide says that I can open the theme
| manager from the control center and click on "install new theme"
| to install them; the new theme should then appear in the theme
| list.  I do this and nothing happens.  Do I have to be root or
| something?

Depends on what the theme is for. Sawfish themes should go in
~/.sawfish/themes. GTK theme's go in ~/.themes.

So something like:
cd ~/.themes
tar xvfz ../nifty-gtk-theme.tar.gz

Should extrat the new theme to ~/.themes/nifty-gtk-theme

Close gnomecc and run it again and it should show up.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
	"I MIGHT be DANGEROUS!" --The Tick