On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Troy.A Johnson wrote:

> I have used Ethereal, and it looks OK, but I haven't
> tracked any real problems with it.

Thanks to Idiot Ben's suggestion, I got it up and running too.  Nice
little program for analyzing protocols, haven't dug into it too much yet.

> Is everything switched, or do you have some hub
> segments? If you do have some larger collision
> domains, are the problems located there (or
> downstream from there)?

We are completely switched.  We're moving things over to a 1Gb fiber
backbone and 100 Mb to the W/S.  There are a few 10Mb switches in use but
that's pretty minimal.  The areas of traffic problems are a few 100Mb
segments tied together with the 1Gb fiber segment.

One of the problems we've been trying to track down is all the machines
set to auto frame types.  We know taht's sending a lot of crap onto the
network.  No Quake protocols are in use currently, but I think I may have
to write a filter for that.  A few users I suspect are using bandwidth for
some "extracurricular activites".

-Brian