Brian,

I have used Ethereal, and it looks OK, but I haven't
tracked any real problems with it.

I have noticed the large number of IPX broadcasts
(along with ATP broadcasts, but we have fewer of
those) on my local network. I have been told that
IPX doesn't negotiate an optimum window size for
for bulk packet transfers, it sends one packet at a
time, which can be pretty inefficient.

Is everything switched, or do you have some hub
segments? If you do have some larger collision
domains, are the problems located there (or
downstream from there)?

Just stirring things up, and wishing you good luck!

Troy

>>> lxy at cloudnet.com 02/27/02 10:23AM >>>
As our network grows and our laziness takes over, bad things start to
happen.  We're running in a Novell/NT hybrid environment and we've
isolated down some issues that we think equates to some nasty congestion
on the network.  When 8:00 hits, the network slows to a crawl in parts of
the net.

I'd like to set up a linux laptop to watch our network for some things
that should not be.  Specifically:

Protocols (shouldn't be anything other than TCP/IP and IPX)
Frame types (Ethernet 802.2 only)

What software would you suggest using for such a project?  I know linux
kicks Microsoft where it hurts when it comes to tracking down these
problems, but I don't know what applications to use.

Thanks!

-Brian