Been configuring the modem on my Mandrake box.  Perhaps similar enough config. to help.

1. Check if ppp|kppp is already running. Try ps or ps|grep variant to determine.
Try kill off running process if found.

2. Perhaps your modem was moved to a different ttyS device.  Check /dev/modem link to
see which ttySx it points to.
Then use minicom to try connect to various ttyS's starting from 0 up.  Change link to
point to ttyS minicom finds modem on.

HTH,

Bob