On Monday 25 February 2002 20:20, you wrote:
> you honestly feel like they masterminded some plan in 1979 that would'nt be
> fully implemented until 1994?

No, I don't think they cared about their customers enough to give us that
kind of thought.  Each step along the way was an individual act of
inconsiderate selfishness that looks like a master plan only in retrospect.

At risk of changing the subject, look at Apple... with every model they
change the hardware.  The loyal fans keep buying the new hardware thinking
it'll be the new standard, and within two years it's incompatible with the
new Apple hardware.  Is this a master plan to screw the consumer?  Or are the
Apple designers just mistakenly using a brainstorming list as a checklist?

"proprietary 15-pin monitor cable -- check.
"proprietary 30-pin monitor-and-sound cable -- check.
"big honking proprietary monitor-and-sound-and-keyboard-and-mouse cable --
check.
"standard VGA monitor cable -- check.
"proprietary digital monitor cable -- check.
"built-in monitor and no cable -- check.
"What shall we do this year?  Let's think different..."

Back to Wal*Mart... I don't honestly think they intended to suck the life out
of downtowns, but that was a consequence of their business plan that they
could have foreseen if they had cared enough to try.  Regardless of their
intentions, they're still guilty of creating the consequences.  --Ben