On Friday 22 February 2002 10:31 am, Austad, Jay wrote:
> I used to use Applixware about 5 years ago, and it was a sweet product even
> back then.  I would definitely suggest trying it out.
>
> The hancom stuff looks OK, but their professional suite just comes with
> extra stuff that you can download for free from thekompany.com.
>
> If I were to blindly pick one though, it would definitely be Applixware.

Each to his own.  I tried the Applixware demo -- and though I'd downloaded it
fresh from the website, it reported that it had expired ... but did come up.
The only problem was that when I tried to open a Word document, it hung (the
program, that is, not the system -- thank Ghu for Linux).

Right now, for what I do -- fairly vanilla formatting stuff that sometimes
needs to be distributed in Word format -- OpenOffice.org seems to work
awfully well, although there are a few glitches with some of the finer points
of Word-format import and export, which I understand are being addressed in
the release version of Star Office 6.0.  (OpenOffice.org -- they prefer that
it be called that rather than anything else -- is the open source version of
Star Office, and seems to have all of the features that I use.)