On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:14:21AM -0600, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:
>For demonstration/testing purposes, I'm going to try to setup an IMAP server
>with Outlook on the client using the Bynari InsightConnector to provide
>groupware functionality.  I hope to get some opinions from TCLUG members on
>the different open/closed source IMAP servers on the market.  Any
>recommendations for these applications?  Thanks...

Please, please, please document your efforts and either post them, or prepare a presentation on this subject. This is a
service we've all been wanting to provide to our users (well, most of us) and if we can get this to work we'll have
overcome a monstrous obstacle! I was within weeks of breaking down and getting an M$ Server in here to do exchange just for
the shared folder, calendaring bit.

Now on to our regularly scheduled post:

I like courier-imap for it's simplicity and ease of use. But alas it doesn't support the ACLs functionality that that this
"plugin" requires to operate (at least to the best of my knowledge). I had used cyrus before that and wasn't too fond of it
as it didn't use the system account information and required this wierd "shell-like" interface to manage. Adding a user
required you to "create" thier inbox and set permissions on it (needed for the extended ACLs). It wasn't long before i
decided all I needed was a simple IMAPD that would speak TLS so I switched. I never really got the hang of cyrus and I'm
sure it's quite powerful but it really added a level of complexity that I didn't need.

I also tried uw-imap for a while but abandonded it after I saw exploit upon exploit upon exploit on it. It's nearly as bad
it seems as wu-ftpd...

Now with this recent development from Bynari i've decided to undertake this task again from the deep dark corners of my
machine room where noone knows about the project. I don't really want to drop them a hint saying we may have this
functionality cause they'll bother me with too many phone calls wonder "When will it be done?"

I'm going to try and slap a box together today to start testing on so if you'd like to collaborate our efforts let me know
and we can correspond off-list untill we reach a resolution.

--
Ben Lutgens		http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
Sistina Software Inc.