I had a 15" color monitor of 1983/84 vintage die a very spectacular death
back in about 1991/92 (those things were HUGE, I think it was about as big
as a 21" is now).  I turned on the H-100 8088 (yes, I was still using the
Heathkit 8088 with no hard drive at home), then turned on the monitor.  All
of a sudden POP!, smoke comes billowing out, the room filled with stenchy
electrical fire smoke, the flyback transformer had fried.  So, I went and
hooked up my trusty 13" monochrome monitor and it died too, no smoke or
flames, just a silent death.  I was heart broken, that was the end of my
$7,000 investment from about 8/9 years before.  I started using an 80286 a
while later...