> Probably a dumb question but wondering if the operating time running on
> battery is any longer if I am using Linux vs. Windows. I realize it would
> depend on the applications being run but to assume essentially equal.
Just
> trying to understand if Linux is more efficient as does not demand as many
> resources.

I run a toshiba satellite 2805-2503.  In an out-of-the-box redhat 7.2
install, my battery life is probably about 3/4 of what it would be on
windows.  I'm told I can get hard disk spindown functionality if I use the
hdparm. (sorry if I got the name wrong.)  I haven't done anything about it
becuase 95% of the time I run my laptop plugged into the wall with the
battery out of it.