Hey,

Thanks to all the suggestions, and especially the people offering to lend
me a testing tool - I might take you up on that. But herre's what I tried,
thanks to a suggestin from Nate.

I took avery short length of Cat5e cable (like 2') and put a jack at both
ends, thus simulating the wires in the wall.

I know everything's punched down correctly, and I know the contacts are
good because I stripped the ends off the copper before punching them down
to make sure.

I'm only using pins 1,2,3 and 6, because that's all ethernet needs, and
those are going in a standard 568B pattern on both jacks (ie, a 1:1
connection between pins).

When I connect a machine to the switch through this setup (using patch
cables I have verified as working), I get a the LINK and ACTIVITY lights
for that port blinking, but that's it. Computer doesn't see the network.
Network doesn't see the computer.

I don't know how a tester would help, since I can visually see the lines.
I guess either my jacks are crap, or I'm wiring stuff wrong... anyone?

Also thanks to Nate's suggestion, I put up pictures of one of them at
http://www.yaron.org/pic/jack/

-Yaron