    JS> I used to use taper as well and I recently ran into problems with taper and
    JS> long paths.  I've started using Arkeia, http://www.arkeia.com, and have been
    JS> pretty happy with it.  It's reasonably fast, it's free for Linux, and it
    JS> allows multiple backups on the same tape, unlike Amanda.  The only thing I
    JS> might run into is that it doesn't seem to know how much is really on the tape
    JS> since I'm using hardware compression, so it might have issues when I try and
    JS> use all of the tape, but only time will tell on that one.

I just looked at the Arkeia web page, and it looks like the license
for the free version is quite restricted:

"The Arkeia free version is a fully enabled copy of Arkeia for Linux
for 1 server attached to a single-tape tape drive (SCSI) and 2 Type-2
client machines. It has NO time limit and can provide you with
interactive and periodic backups.  The license for the Arkeia Free
Version is free for personal AND commercial use."

Don't you have a tape changer, Jon?  How did you work around this
limitation?