I used to use taper as well and I recently ran into problems with taper and
long paths.  I've started using Arkeia, http://www.arkeia.com, and have been
pretty happy with it.  It's reasonably fast, it's free for Linux, and it
allows multiple backups on the same tape, unlike Amanda.  The only thing I
might run into is that it doesn't seem to know how much is really on the tape
since I'm using hardware compression, so it might have issues when I try and
use all of the tape, but only time will tell on that one.