On Thursday 14 February 2002 18:52, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get xplanet set up to run as the background on my KDE
> desktop. xplanet is really cool, BTW. (http://xplanet.sourceforge.net)
>
> The KDE Background configuration tool has the xplanet command set like
> this:
>
> xplanet --geometry %xx%y --output %f.jpg && mv %f.jpg %f
>
> Can someone interpret that for me? Where are the %x, %y, and %f coming
> from?
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
> Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com
> W. St. Paul, MN |                          | http://slashdot.org
> wilson at visi.com |  <dtml-var pithy_quote>  | http://linux.com

I'm running xglobe (with markers) its not identical but close. When you open
the setup for the Background Program, the window is labeled kcmshell. (Looks
furiously but can't find man page or docs for kcmshell.) So my guess is that
it has access to certain KDE environment settings. That makes the %x and %y
easy, (the --geometry doesn't hurt ;-) they have to be the current resolution
settings for the KDE desktop. (ie 1024x768) I'm guessing that %f is a tmp
file name, possibly session specific, that KDE has for storing temporary root
window images.

Of course now I'm going to have to look this up and see what it is. 8^)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com