On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:36:07AM -0600, Dan Churchill wrote:
> All right.  I've stated before how I would consider a Linux desktop,
> except it would cause me issues with games that only work under
> Windows, and thus I was staying with Windows and the Outlook e-mail
> client because it really is the most functional desktop e-mail client
> for my needs.

This is a common view.

> But, I had (made) some time to tinker.  I've set up Cygwin/XFree86 on
> my Windows box.  I'm running an rhost-ed instance of my Linux desktop
> on the X server on my Windows box, essentially putting a Linux desktop
> on my primary PC, which allows me to keep my games for running under
> Windows, and still use my Linux desktop apps without moving to a
> different console.  And, I'm just writing to say that it's great!

This is a great option if you have the resources for multiple computers.
Way to go!  Cygwin is an excellent product.  Red Hat certainly put a few
feathers in their cap by adopting Cygwin.

> I'm in the process of converting my Outlook .pst file to KMail mbox
> format, which is a less than an exact science using LibPST v0.2beta1
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18756&release_id=74639),
> but it will be functional enough to get most of my mail moved out of
> the proprietary .pst format, which makes me *very* happy.

Thank you for the link.  I've got some old email archives I'd love to
move over from way back in '97.

> Now, what is the best text-based e-mail client that can use the same
> mbox files as KMail, for when I'm accessing mail remotely.  I know
> there are a lot of them...but what are people's favorites and what
> features make your favorite work best for you?

For mbox formatted email either mutt or pine are the two best
console-based email clients.  Mutt, IMHO, is far better than pine will
ever be. ;-)  One advantage to pine, however, is that it reads
newsgroups as well as email.  Mutt /may/ do so as well, but I haven't
found a need to explore that avenue.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)