/dev/mouse is probably a link to /dev/psaux.  What you're looking for is
the Driver line for your mouse device in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Make sure
it's set correctly.  Otherwise it'll jump all over the place.  You'll
probably need to set up the buttons as well.  There's more information on
it at http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/mouse6.html#27 that should help get it
configured.

Dunno on the lp issue.

As for the IDE CD-RW, it likely showed up as a /dev/hd<something>.  Type
'dmesg' and look through the output for where it's detected.  In order to
use it to write CDs, you'll want the enable SCSI emulation support in the
kernel (enable general SCSI driver, disable IDE CD-ROM support, enable
SCSI CD-ROM support, etc... I think the man pages for cdrecord have some
suggestions on what needs to be set up).

--
Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Visi.com