On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 03:06:01PM -0600, Jared Burns wrote:
> So my question is, is Xprt a commonly used print server? Does it make sense
> to assume that people are running it? Also, are there more sensible choices
> to be made (lpr, cups, etc.)?

There are many MTAs out there, but, since most software assumes that
it can send mail by calling /usr/bin/sendmail with certain
parameters, most of them install either a symlink or a wrapper at
/usr/bin/sendmail which accepts (some subset of) the same
command-line options as sendmail does.  The software can find
sendmail and use it for outgoing mail and the admin doesn't have to
deal with sendmail configuration if he doesn't want to, so everyone's
happy.

Printing is a little trickier, since there are two standard print
systems, each with it's own front-end and syntax:  AT&T's lp system
and BSD's lpr equivalent.  Other print systems are typically happy to
emulate one or both of these interfaces.

Either lp or lpr would be a sensible choice for a generic print
system to expect; I don't know about *nix in general, but lpr seems
to be more common in Linux-land.  Even better would be to have a
configuration directive which allows the admin to choose whichever he
prefers (or to check for the existence of the relevant binaries and
just use what's there).

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss