Isn't this the kind of thing tclug-announce is for?

I don't care that someone want's to announce their event. I may find it
interesting, and it may be a group I haven't heard of before. I wouldn't
know about the TCPHP users group or the TCPC usergroup if not for various
announcments on TCLUG.

What about beermeeting announcments? They aren't exactly Linux related.
IIRC correctly, they came out of a totally Off Topic conversation.

Just make use of [OT] in your Subject and I'm happy.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making
a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims
to be trying to take over the world."