On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:25:51AM -0600, Brian wrote:
> I needed to upgrade PHP to add some mysql functions.  Now Apache won't
> start, and it's not giving me any useful errors.
>
> I grabbed PHP-4.1.11 and compiled it:
>
> ./configure --with-mysql=pathtomysql --with-apxs=pathtoapxs
> make
> make install
> cp php.ini-recommended /usr/local/lib/php.ini-dist
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
>
> First I got an error that lib/apache couldn't be found, so I made a
> symlink in /etc/httpd (the server root) to /usr/lib.  Now it just fails,

Whoa... you really messed up your system.

Why is /etc/httpd your server root? And why do you symlink /usr stuff
into /etc?

In /etc/httpd you should have the apache config files and nothing more.
Please post a gzipped httpd.conf here.

> the only message in the error log is "child process not started, sending
> SIGTERM".

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4