On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 12:26, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> Hi eveyone,

Word.

> I use kdm to log in normally, but now it just restarts and I can't log in as
> anyone but root. And root can only log in using 'failsafe' mode. Note, I can
> log in from a tty with no problem. It seems to be a kdm/X problem.

sounds like there's a /tmp/.X0-lock file. rm it.

> Does anyone know which runlevel is a non-X login on Debian? I remember from
> the past that RedHat used runlevel 5 for graphical login and runlevel 3 for
> text-based. Default runlevel on Debian is 2.

X spawns from an init script in debian, not from inittab. To make it
stop trying to start, ssh in and run "update-rc.d -f xdm remove"

> If I can kill kdm completely then I can try a 'startx' and capture the error
> output. Does anyone remember the command line to do that? It's something
> like:
>
> % startx %1> %2 blah blah blah

startx 2>&1>filename should do the trick

> I'd love to hear ideas.

I can think of all sorts of stuff, most of which is useless :-)

--
Ben Lutgens		http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
Sistina Software Inc.

pub  1024D/9A0DDC59 2001-12-12 Ben Lutgens <blutgens at sistina.com>
     Key fingerprint = 8FCD A1EE CEA7 DEE1 9361  F32C 0A90 30D1 9A0D
DC59
sub  1024g/1FC75C99 2001-12-12