Hi eveyone,

We had a brief power outage last night (all too common unfortunately) and my
workstation seems to be having trouble as a result.

I use kdm to log in normally, but now it just restarts and I can't log in as
anyone but root. And root can only log in using 'failsafe' mode. Note, I can
log in from a tty with no problem. It seems to be a kdm/X problem.

Does anyone know which runlevel is a non-X login on Debian? I remember from
the past that RedHat used runlevel 5 for graphical login and runlevel 3 for
text-based. Default runlevel on Debian is 2.

If I can kill kdm completely then I can try a 'startx' and capture the error
output. Does anyone remember the command line to do that? It's something
like:

% startx %1> %2 blah blah blah

I'd love to hear ideas.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com