On Thursday 07 February 2002 03:20 pm, you wrote:

> >Or, alternately, persuade people that these Linux wierdos will blame them
> > for doing something for which they don't have any alternative.
>
> I don't tell clients "I'm a Linux wierdo,
> so don't use Outlook". I do inform them
> that the Outlook emailer does leave their
> "cheese in the wind". If the need
> features only Outlook has, then great,
> they can deal with the downside too.
>
> Most don't.

Well, good.

> >Yup.  Just like vCard -- and the use of vCard, where it is used, is
> > largely in the point-and-click world, and it's not gotten terribly
> > widespread adoption.
>
> Because it's not all that useful in that
> context. It's a block waiting for
> someone to build something useful
> with it. I haven't had time.

Oh, I think having a standard format for exchanging personal information is
potentially terribly useful, but only if it's well-integrated with the way
that people usually do things.  As one of those Linux wierdos, I'd love to
have, say, a Perl script that strips them out of incoming emails and adds
them to my Palm address database; as one of those Linux wierdos who isn't a
programmer, I'm going to have to wait until somebody who has the skills finds
the time and inclination.

Not holding my breath.