Karen,

It appears the printers are not configured correctly on the SUSE box.  I haven't used SUSE so
don't know what was used to setup printer (YAST?).  In general modern Linux distros' GUI
printer setup usually works well.  Perhaps try remove & reinstall the printers on the SUSE box?
Some comments mixed in below.

HTH
Bob

Karen A Swanberg wrote:

> I now have a linux user (running SUSE) who wants to print to the printers.
> I see doing this with one of two methods: printing directly to the printer
> (opening the HP jetdirect to his IP, which is fine) or having him send the
> print job to the print server.
>
> If the user send the job to the print server, the job prints out as the
> postscript commands, rather than the formatted postscript output. If he
> sends it directly to the printer, he gets postscript jibberish or nothing
> at all.
>
> to do that then printing to the server. I've heard rumblings about port
> 9100 printing, but that means nothing to me.

port 9100 > HP JetDirect port
port 515  > standard lpr port

> I do have a samba server I could use to catch the lpr print jobs, and send
> them onto the win server, but boy do I *not* want to do that.

shouldn't be necessary

Some addtl. info:
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/jsmeix_print-netzwerk.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/