I hate that.  Let me guess, you are on Mandrake, right?  For some reason
every install of Mandrake I have seen does that to Kmail.  What you have to
do is edit ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

You will see an entry for [Account 1], just manually change that to what you
want your default account to be.  Dont delete it, or you will screw up kmail.
 But if you put some values in there (even if not the right ones) you can
then use Kmail to delete the account and put your own default in.

Has anyone else seen this someplace besides Mandrake?  Maybe I should submit
a bug report....

Jay