On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 07:16, Jason Jorgensen wrote:
> The ISP's I sysadmin for want some way to archive all mail going to and
> coming from our users to customer-care.
>
> I was thinking something that just dumps a pop3 account into a database
> might be enough.  I would just add a 'ccdump' account to the
> 'customer-care' alias and then cron the dump script.

I do this for a support list here. I use mailman already so it was
trivial. I added another list for the address, subscribed the
appropriate people to it. Made it "non-advertised", set the archives to
"private", made it post-able by anyone. Then I made the support staff
heads the "admins" and briefed them on how to use the interface. They
may get some spam, not likely, if they do they work here and already
have filters setup to handle the headers I add to mails with
spamassassin.

Another way would be to setup your mail server to copy all mail to and
from certain address to an mbox file, use mhonarc or some such to
HTML-ize the archives. Stick said HTML-ized archives in a web directory
and protect it somehow ( consult your web server docs for instructions )

The first method requires nearly no additional maintenance on your part
(save subscribing and un-subscribing users). The second method would
require a few cron jobs to maintain and possibly some rsync action
(always over ssh) in the event that your web server has no shared
storage with your mail server.