On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 21:06, Kelly Black wrote:
> As one who has felt the stark fist of Debian, I have tried it.
> I found it to be "simple", yet difficult.  Once I saw the sometimes less than
> helpfull README.Debian files in /usr/local/doc/package directories.  Does a
> package normally give you more pointers to help track down where the config
> scripts got off to.  It seems like a pseudo standard exists to put them in a
> sub of /etc.

debian is very good at adhering to the FHS. Look in /usr/share/doc for
docs. "dpkg -L apt" will tell you what files where installed to where
for the "apt" package. All this stuff is documented _fairly_ well on
debian.org. Also there are boatloads of us who've used it (though some
of us have moved on, but still miss certain features of debian from time
to time) who can point you in the right direction.

Id' think you'd be used to using locate and find to glean the places
where files get installed after using slackware..... lord knows thier
.tgz format isn't exactly full-featured.

> P.S. I hate GUI's for installers (I am a Slacker) and would not have it any
> other way.  Always loved the mail from Patrick Volkerding at the end of a
> Slack install telling ya a few of the "next" task pointers.

Don't be afraid of a GUI because you didn't write it. Give some a try,
some are actually usefull! Take for example ethereal. I used tcpdump to
snag some packets off a server today. I fed that into ethereal for easy
analysis and cross referenced it against my snort logs (viewed via ACID)
and was able to ascertain the source of the problem, print the packets
to a file for sending to incidents.org. Ethereal is a fantastic GUI app.

--
Ben Lutgens				http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator			Sistina Software Inc.

"If you love someone, set them free. If they come home, set them on
fire."
	- George Carlin