As one who has felt the stark fist of Debian, I have tried it.
I found it to be "simple", yet difficult.  Once I saw the sometimes less than
helpfull README.Debian files in /usr/local/doc/package directories.  Does a
package normally give you more pointers to help track down where the config
scripts got off to.  It seems like a pseudo standard exists to put them in a
sub of /etc.

P.S. I hate GUI's for installers (I am a Slacker) and would not have it any
other way.  Always loved the mail from Patrick Volkerding at the end of a
Slack install telling ya a few of the "next" task pointers.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ