On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:03:09 -0600
"Robert P. Goldman" <goldman at htc.honeywell.com> wrote:
>     SF> Jay,
>     SF>   Aside from smoothwall, what other firewall would you
> recommend?
>     SF> Everything that I seem to be reading about Smoothwall is turning
> it sour.
>     SF> It's still at the 2.2 kernel, and I'd like to move up to the 2.4
> kernel.
>     SF> I tried to build my own firewall, however, I lacked the time to
> really
>     SF> devote to a project of that tasking.
>
> I've been happily using coyote linux.  It's also at the 2.2 kernel
> level, but seems to work fine for my application (small home
> network).  I considered changing to smoothwall, but coyote was working
> fine, so never did.
>
> If there's a reason why I *shouldn't* be using coyote, I'd be
> interested to hear....

One thing that I heard, but don't know the validity/truth to it is that
2.2 kernels have difficulties with IPSEC vpn, where the 2.4 kernel works.
I run Smoothwall at home, and I need to VPN into work.  I can up PPtP, but
I'd have better speed and response using a 28.8 modem running X.  I have a
hub between my Smoothwall box, and my DSL router (640k) to allow me to VPN
in.  Unfortunately, I run Win2k for remote stuff for work as I haven't
found/figured a viable option to this.

Shawn